Great but really need tighter permissions

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:28 AM

I love that you created a solution surfacing the auditing capabilities for SharePoint Foundation, but I am afraid I can't use it.

The permissions for the solution are such that any user, at any time, can see anything in the audit log. Things that site administrators are doing on lists the users otherwise can't see in the Quick Launch and wouldn't know existed.

I am not a developer, and don't have any developer tools (such as visual studio) available, to simply customize the code as someone commented in the reviews.

Is it possible that, in rev 2, you could set the permissions so only owners/administrators could see the audit viewer? That would make this the perfect product for me.

Thank you.

Otherwise, is there anyone out there who could give an old server administrator an idea as to what I am supposed to customize, and how, to fix this permission issue on my own? Maybe it's something simple I could do myself?

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Just wanted to follow up on this. I discovered that you can easily set this solution so it only displays the audit viewer for people who with the manage web permission by editing the Element.xml file in Features folder under TEMPLATES in the 14 hive. To this end you can simply add Rights="ManageWebs" to the custom action tag. It's super easy, even an admin can do it (such as myself).

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM

with the option of Rights = "ManageWebs" get that users can not delete the log, but still able to view the log of all users, including administrators

Is not it possible to hide the Audit Log button to all users who are not administrators?
thanks

May 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Hello all,
I hope that I finally find solution for rights. What you need is to edit Elements.xml for Module1.

Just paste:

Rights="ManageWeb"

under Title="Auditing Viewer".

Hope it helps.

Finally let me thanks autor for this solution.

Pilgrim